Thursday, April 30, 2009

Several Supporters Exemplify
the True Spirit of Giving Back

As we finish the follow-up on our marketing/fundraising campaign from the Nashville Marathon, I wanted to share a thread of e-mails between us and several Texas Country Music Artists.

This is an e-mail that we sent out to all of our supporters after the run:

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:06:09 -0500
From: Drew Myers, e-Partners in Giving

Subject:  Touching Base

It’s Drew Myers...I left you a voice mail earlier this week, but I wanted to drop you a quick e-mail as well.

Bottom Line: We are going to refund your donation to Back on My Feet. I hate to say that, but I think you’ll understand....

The marathon in Nashville was a debacle. I ran 24 miles before I ended up in a medical tent and eventually the ER. (The heat, the hills, and the way I attacked the course turned into a vicious cycle.) Long story short... I didn’t finish the race. (All the gory & transparent details are on my blog:
http://fireandmotion.blogspot.com/2009/04/defining-moment-what-is-real-meaning-of.html)

I WAS able to wear the concert T-shirt shirt for several miles of the race (got some good pics that I’ll be posting on the blog soon), but my integrity won’t let me accept the donation for that alone. 

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Bottom Line No. 2: I just appreciate you guys believing in this crazy idea and supporting me. Maybe there will be an opportunity for another out-of-the-box idea in the future.

Do you guys have a Foundation? Just brainstorming. If we can EVER do ANYTHING for you guys, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Thanks.

Again...I apologize for not holding up my end of the bargain.

Take care and never stop giving back,

Drew

I received two wonderfully great responses from this e-mail. Texas Country Music should be proud that these individuals are ambassadors for the industry. I know that I'm proud that I carried them on my back in Nashville. 

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:06:09 -0500
To: Drew Myers, e-Partners in Giving 
Subject: Re: Touching Base

Drew,

Rather than send us the money back, is it possible to go ahead and just give it to the charity it was destined for originally? Not completing the race is not really a factor in our desire to help out. I understand your personal feelings about the DNF, but it doesn't change the fact that we want to support the cause. I'd rather the money go ahead and be used for Back on My Feet.

I wish you luck in your efforts, and I am sorry you were not able to finish. I can't imagine being that close and having to make those decisions. But the effort, and the charity are still important, and we thank you for thinking of us.

Thanks for including us!
_________________________________________________

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 05:22:28 -0500
To: Drew Myers, e-Partners in Giving 
Subject: Re: Touching Base

Hey, Drew ... it's not a problem ... I still want to give what we sponsored ... so no matter what you feel ... please let us do this for you ... for your passion ... for your struggle ...

It is what I want to do... so, please don't deny us the opportunity to support something you believed in...

I am glad you are OK ... I am impressed by your determination ...

You know what ... the fact that you tried ... whether success or no success ... is not the point ... the point is YOU TRIED ... now that is amazing... 

We are here to support you and others like you ... going to the line ... for a passion ... results will vary, depending on the situation ...

But no one can judge ... an honest attempt at integrity ... no one should try to judge that ...

You did something special ...

All for now... 

WOW! So wonderfully great!

One member of the e-Partners in Giving Family said: "Wow! What an awesome lady. Can I put her on my speed dial for a pep talk on those bad days we all have?" 

One last thank you to all the Texas Country Music artists who agreed to support us in the marathon, but a HUGE thank you to these individuals. Their willingness to give back should be applauded and admired.

NEVER STOP GIVING BACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment